Saturday 7 March 2009

Tommy Vance

6th March is the anniversary of the death of Tommy Vance, without whom the world of rock music would be very much poorer. Between 1978 and 1993, he presented the legendary Friday Rock Show on Radio One. It's hard to believe in this time of the internet and satellite TV, this once a week two hours long programme was the only outlet in the UK for new and classic rock music.
His deep booming voice was the perfect vehicle to introduce his audience to the likes of Maiden, Leppard, Dio, and many more. It was Tommy Vance who introduced me to the music I love above all others and a desire to present music on the radio.
In the 1980's, the DJ with the biggest ego seemed to rule supreme. The only stand outs in this sea of mediocrity was Tommy and John Peel ( later on joined by the returning Johnnie Walker and Roger Scott). These people's interest in appearing on the radio was for the music.
Tommy died of a stroke in 2005, and I still miss him. I was lucky enough to blag an interview with him around 22 years ago. I was 17 years old and had just started in hospital radio.My task was to go out and interview interesting people. Having exhausted the local MP and women's institute, I used the opportunity to interview people I really wanted to meet. Needless to say, he was charming and very patient with my stupid questions.
A friend of mine,Jon Kutner, worked with Tommy, helping to compile the information Tommy used in-between the songs on the Top 40 show.He remembers him as someone with time for everyone, to the executives to the cleaners.
God bless Tommy Vance in rock 'n' roll heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment